The proposal to use the funds is as follows:
- Prepare youth and adults for high school and GED completion;
- Prepare youth for career and technical education needed in the 21st century workforce; and
- Prepare adults for Postsecondary Education and employment in emerging fields.
The following activities will support a Building Communities Through Literacy initiative which will offer employment
opportunities for the residents of Benton Harbor through a cooperative project involving Whirlpool Corporation and the
Alliance for World-Class Communities:
- Provision of Adult Basic Education and Literacy Services;
- High School Intervention Services;
- High School Completion/GED Attainment;
- Middle College; and
- Workplace Skills.
- The project will create 4,000 jobs during the start-up phase, and another 2,000 jobs annually, starting in 2012. The Department of Labor plans to work with Michigan Works!, Benton Area schools, and local colleges to identify participants for this project.