February 4, 2009
REGION 5 ETA WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT LETTER 001-09
TO: State Workforce System Administrators
FROM: Byron Zuidema
SUBJECT: Quad-Annual Federal/State Tax Performance System (TPS) Review
1. Purpose. To advise States of the schedule for the 2009 TPS Federal/State Team Reviews.
2. References. None.
3. Links. This Letter is in the Region 5 website archive at: http://www.doleta.gov/regions/reg05/pages/LibraryIssuances.cfm.
4. Background. TPS Coordinators/Reviewers conduct reviews of their States' tax functions annually. Additionally, each year, State TPS reviewers are required to participate with Federal and TPS staff from other States as a team, to review a sample of TPS Acceptance Sample cases in three Region 5 States. The objective of the Federal/State Team Review is to validate the original findings of the TPS reviewer.
5. Substance. Funds have been designated for travel for TPS reviewers, which will enable all State TPS staff to participate in the Team Reviews. All State reviewers’ travel expenses will be reimbursed by the
Team Reviews will be conducted during one week in each State under review. The first 2009 Team Review will be conducted in
6. Team Review. The TPS Coordinator/Reviewer of the host State will be responsible for coordinating the availability of the appropriate State Tax staff responsible for the functions being reviewed. The Federal/State Team will review seven passing cases from the Acceptance Samples for each Tax function as well as all failing cases to determine the adequacy of the required documentation. The Team members will present their findings to the State Agency Tax Chief and interested State staff at the end of the visit.
7. Hotel Accommodations. A block of rooms has been secured for team members at the hotels listed below. The block is listed under the U.S. Department of Labor. Each team member should call to reserve his/her room:
Capitol Plaza Jefferson City Hotel
573.635.1234 or 800.338.8088
For the nights of April 13-16, 2009 the rate is $70.00 per night, plus 10.225 percent tax. There is no charge for parking. Coordination for pick-up from either the
Renaissance – Savery Hotel
For reservations, 800.514.4706.
For the nights of June 22-25, 2009 the rate is $86.00 per night, plus 12 percent tax. Valet parking is $15.00 per day and a city lot is located within a block of the hotel. The cut-off date for this room block is June 1, 2009. You MUST present a State government ID at the time of check-in. Please visit the hotel website for information on hotel amenities.
Capitol Plaza Topeka Hotel
800.679.7937 or 785.431.7200
For the nights of July 6-9, 2009 the rate is $70.00 per night, plus 13.45 percent tax. There is not a charge for parking. Coordination for pick-up from the
8. Action. State Workforce System Administrators are requested to share this Letter with UI Directors, Tax (Revenue) Managers & Tax Performance System (TPS) Coordinators/Reviewers. TPS staff should obtain out-of-State travel authorization from their State Agency in order to participate on the team.
9. Contact. Comments or questions concerning the 2009 TPS Review may be directed to Sandy Diaz on 312.596.5443. Comments or questions about the format of this Letter may be directed to Tom Coyne on 312.596.5435.
10. Expiration Date. April 12, 2009.
11. Attachment. 2009 TPS Review Schedule.
|Tuesday||8:30 am – 9:30 am
9:30 am - 5:00 pm
Begin Case Reviews
|Wednesday – Thursday||8:00 am - 4:00 pm
4:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Case Findings Summary
|Friday||8:00 am -11:00 am
11:00 am - Noon
|Prepare Findings & RecommendationsPresentation to State Executive
& Tax Staff