July 8, 2011
REGION 5 ETA WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT LETTER 05-11
TO: State Workforce System Administrators
FROM: Byron Zuidema
SUBJECT: Agricultural Outreach Plan
1. Purpose. To provide State Workforce Agencies (SWAs) with the attached Planning and Guidance for Program Year 2011 for the preparation and submittal of the Agricultural Outreach Plan for PY 11.
2. References. Workforce Investment Act of 1998 (WIA); 20 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 652.211, 652.212, 652.213, 653107, 653.112, and 661.230; Training and Employment Guidance Letter (TEGL) 17-10.
3. Links. This Letter is in the Region 5 website archive at: http://www.doleta.gov/regions/reg05/pages/LibraryIssuances.cfm.
4. Background. Federal regulations require that each state Wagner- Peyser agency operate an outreach program in order to locate and contact Migrant and Seasonal Farm Workers (MSFWs) who are not being reached by the normal intake activities conducted by the Wagner-Peyser local offices. To this end, each state agency must develop an annual outreach plan setting forth numerical goals, policies and objectives on how MSFWs are to receive services that are “qualitatively equivalent and quantitatively proportionate” to the services provided to other non-MSFW customers. Service delivery strategies need to take into account the unique needs of MSFWs.
5. Substance. TEGL 17-10 notifies states that for PY 2012, the Employment and Training Administration intends to integrate the agriculture outreach plan requirements into the WIA/W-P planning requirements as part of an overall redesign of the state planning process. TEGL 17-10 further encouraged states to take steps now to integrate their AOP into the WIA/W-P Plan by providing robust responses to questions that pertain to services for MSFWs.
SWAs that provided all the elements of the outreach plan, as described at 20 CFR 653.107 (c) and as part of their WIA/W-P state plans, have met the requirements of the outreach plan, and are not asked to develop a separate outreach plan. Those SWAs that did not or have not provided these elements in their WIA/W-P state plans will need to ensure that an outreach plan is developed, and submitted to the ETA Regional Office for review. Plans are to be developed by September 30, 2011.
7. Action. State Administrators are requested to:
1. provide this information to appropriate staff.
2. ensure that plans are developed by September 30, 2011 and sent to the Regional Office, attention Eric Hernandez, Federal Officer, at Hernandez.firstname.lastname@example.org.
9. Contact. Questions regarding this letter should be directed to Eric Hernandez at 312.596.5419. Comments or questions about the format of this Letter may be directed to Beverly Akogu on 312.596.5458.
10. Expiration Date. September 30, 2011.