November 4, 2004
ETA REGIONAL INFORMATION ALERT 025-05
ORIGINATING OFFICE: Region 5
SUBJECT: FYI - Tips and Tools for Working with the Limited English Proficient (LEP) Population; U.S. Department of Justice
PROGRAM(S): All Programs
1. Purpose. To transmit two documents with useful information for working with the LEP population.
3. Links. This Alert is in the Regional Resources website archive at: http://www.doleta.gov/regions/regionalresources
Link to DOL's LEP website at http://www.doleta.gov/usworkforce/lep/
4. Substance. The U.S. the Department of Justice (DOJ) held a conference in September 2004 to develop tools for dealing with the Limited English Proficient population. Two documents were produced:
Tips & Tools (Attachment 1) is a DOJ specific product. However, there is information and several links that can assist any agency serving LEP clients.
Beneficiary Brochure (Attachment 2) is a generic product that can be used by any agency.
The Department of Labor's own LEP technical assistance guide will soon be available on the website, along with other good information on serving the LEP population.
5. Action. Program administrators are requested to share this Information Alert with appropriate staff and other agencies.
6. Contact. Comments or questions about LEP issues may be directed to your Regional Office:
Region 1 Boston - 617.565.3630
Region 2 Philadelphia - 215.861.5200
Region 3 Atlanta - 404.562.2092
Region 4 Dallas - 214.767.8263
Region 5 Chicago - 312.596.5400
Region 6 San Francisco - 415.975.4610
Comments or questions about the format of this Alert may be directed to Tom Coyne on 312.596.5435.
7. Expiration Date. Continuing
Attachment 1 - Tips & Tools
Attachment 2 - Beneficiary Brochure (.pdf)