December 22, 2005
ETA REGIONAL INFORMATION ALERT NO. 020-06
ORIGINATING OFFICE: Region 5
SUBJECT: Request for Comments - Proposed Metropolitan Area Definitions for Fiscal Year 2006 Income Limits and Median Family Income Estimates; Department of Housing and Urban Development
PROGRAMS: All Programs
1. Purpose. To transmit a request for comment from U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) concerning proposed changes in the metropolitan area definitions for Fiscal Year 2006, used to calculate the median family income estimates and income limits for benefits under HUD programs.
2. References. Federal Register, Vol. 70, No. 241, December 16, 2005, pp. 74988-74993; United States Housing Act of 1937, section 3(b)(2); Housing and Community Development Act of 1974, section 8; FY 2005 HUD Income Limits Briefing Material.
Link to the Federal Register attachment (.pdf)
4. Background. The Department of Housing and Urban Development is proposing to issue FY 2006 income limits - for benefits and services under its programs - based on 2000 Census data rather than continue to use 1990 Census data.
5. Substance. This Alert may be of interest to program administrators of agencies in the employment and training community which have participants receiving HUD benefits and services.
6. Action. Program administrators are request to share this Information Alert with appropriate staff and other agencies, and are invited to comment, on or before February 14, 2006, to the office listed in the Addresses section of the Federal Register attachment.
7. Contact. Questions and comments about the proposed HUD changes may be directed to the HUD User Information Line on 800.245.2691. Questions or comments about the format of this Alert may be directed to Tom Coyne on 312.596.5435.
8. Expiration Date. February 14, 2006
9. Attachment. Federal Register, Vol. 70, No. 241, December 16, 2005, pp. 74988-74993