January 27, 2010
ETA WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT LETTER 004-10
MEMORANDUM TO: Region 5 State Workforce Agency (SWA) Admnistrators
FROM: Byron Zuidema
SUBJECT: Monitor Advocate Technical Assistance Training, San Antonio, March 22-24, 2010
1. Purpose: To advise State Workforce Agencies of the Monitor Advocate Technical Assistance Training to be held in San Antonio, March 22-24, 2010.
2. Background. In conjunction with the National Partnership of Rural and Farmworker Organizations (MAFO) 2010 National Farmworker Conference, the United States Department of Labor will hold an annual training and professional development technical assistance forum for all Monitor Advocates (MA’s), Assistant Monitor Advocates, National Farmworker Jobs Program (NFJP) coordinators, and their corresponding Federal Project Officers (FPO’s), along with any other staff who are involved with the Migrant and Seasonal Farmworker (MSFW) program. To ensure continued collaboration with our farmworker organization partners and to provide timely training on changes which impact MSFW services, participation in the Monitor Advocate training is strongly encouraged.
3. Information. This monitor advocate training will bring together farmworker organizations, State and Federal Monitor Advocates, Federal Project Officers, NFJP grantees and outreach workers to discuss the various issues and legislative changes that impact the provision of services to MSFW’s. The main objectives of this year’s training are to:
a. provide best practices to Monitor Advocates to improve services and performance;
b. better integrate services to MSFWs and agricultural employers in the Workforce System;
c. better coordinate the enforcement of farmworker regulations;
d. facilitate the exchange of information among farmworker service providers and to; and
e. enhance communication and cooperation between farmworker groups and State and Federal officials.
4. Arrangements. The Monitor Advocate training will be held at:
Hyatt Regency San Antonio
San Antonio, Texas 78205.
For reservations, participants should contact the hotel directly by phone on 210.222.1234 (request the MAFO rate). Hotel reservations should be made and confirmed on or before March 12, 2010 to receive the special conference rate.
For information regarding MAFO and the 2010 conference agenda please visit www.mafofarmworker.com.
5. Action. State Administrators are requested to share this Letter with appropriate staff and other interested parties.
6. Inquiries. Questions concerning the Monitor Advocate training should be directed to Eric Hernandez on 312.596.5419. Questions about the format of this Letter may be directed to Tom Coyne on 312.596.5435.
7. Attachments. None.
8. Expiration Date. March 22, 2010.