DIRECTIVE: OLDER WORKER BULLETIN 98-34
TO: ALL SENIOR COMMUNITY SERVICE EMPLOYMENT PROGRAM (SCSEP) SPONSORS
SUBJECT: One-Stop Career Centers/Senior Community Service Employment Linkages
1. Purpose: To emphasize the opportunity for linkages between the One-Stop Career Centers and the Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP), and to transmit appropriate support information.
2. References: Older Worker Bulletins No. 97-14, 97-19, 97-20 and 98-25. These bulletins encouraged linkages between the SCSEP and the One-Stop Career Center Systems.
3. Background: The Senior Community Service Employment Program under title V of the Older Americans Act is one of the mandated partners in the One-Stop Career Center system. To date, our experience indicates that these linkages have been successful in providing services and information which have been integrated into the One-Stop to ensure that all population groups have access to a broad array of services from a comprehensive menu of employment and training options. The passage of the Workforce Investment Act reinforces the importance of the linkages of the SCSEP and the One-Stop Career Center system.
4. Policy Regarding Private-for-Profit One-stops: We note that some SCSEP sponsors have been reluctant to establish linkages with One-Stop Career Centers that are operated by private-for-profit corporations. We think this is because of a concern about violating Section 502(c) of the Older Americans Act of 1965, as amended. Sponsors should be aware that, like Job Corps Centers, all One-Stop Career Centers are operated by various entities for the convenience and benefit of the government. There should be no concern about violating Section 502 (C) of the Older Americans Act of 1965, as amended.
5. Directive: SCSEP sponsors are encouraged to expand existing linkages with the One-Stop Career Centers and, where feasible, to establish new linkages, including with centers operated by private-for-profit corporations.
6. Inquiries: Questions should be directed to your Federal Representative at (202) 219-5904.
ERICH W. ("RIC") LARISCH
ANNA W. GODDARD
Chief Director, Division of Older Worker Programs
Office of National Programs