9 counties: Larimer, Boulder, Jefferson, Adams, Arapahoe, Douglas, Denver, Broomfield, Weld
Target Industries: Aerospace, Energy, Bioscience, secondary and post-secondary education initiatives
The Denver Metro WIRED Initiative is focusing on supporting Metro Denver EDC's growth industry clusters and building a pipeline of workers for high-demand occupations. The Initiative targets four of the five industry clusters - aerospace, biosciences, information technology, and energy that have demonstrated the largest potential for growth opportunities. Additionally, each of these industries requires a higher level of STEM skills (science, technology, engineering and math) to meet the demands of the industries. The Metro Denver region will emphasize STEM skill development for the pipeline of workers at all levels.
The Metro Denver region seeks to meet five goals:
- Develop a home-grown skilled workforce for the fastest-growing industries - aerospace, bioscience, information technology and energy.
- Become the best region in the country in STEM education, supported by a full skill-set of competencies and masteries. Metro Denver will be the "go to" region when companies are deciding to relocate or expand.
- Create an entrepreneurial climate for business creation and expansion for companies in targeted industries.
- Become a region where the educational standard is a post-secondary certificate or an Associates Degree.
- Integrate workforce, education, and economic development programs to effectively meet the needs of individual business.