DATE: February 3, 1999
DIRECTIVE: OLDER WORKER BULLETIN 99-1
TO: ALL SENIOR COMMUNITY SERVICE EMPLOYMENT PROGRAM (SCSEP) SPONSORS
SUBJECT: Workforce Investment Act (WIA) Implementation
1. PURPOSE: To inform SCSEP grantees about upcoming WIA implementation training sessions, and to transmit a booklet about WIA prepared by the National Association of State Units on Aging (NASUA).
2. REFERENCES: Older Worker (OW) Bulletins Nos. 98-32, 98-35, and 98-37.
3. BACKGROUND: OW Bulletins Nos. 98-32 and 98-35 transmitted materials on the WIA, enacted last August. States and local jurisdictions are now actively engaged in planning for implementation of the new legislation. SCSEP grantees, subgrantees, States and local projects should be involved as well, influencing State and local WIA entities to ensure that mature, experienced workers are included in the WIA planning processes, and that they are served by local One-Stop Career Centers and in other WIA program operations.
4. DISCUSSION: As indicated in OW Bulletin No. 98-37, we see WIA implementation as an unparalleled opportunity for SCSEP to become an integral member of the "mainstream" employment and training community, and we intend that efforts in this direction will be SCSEP's number one priority over the next two years. Attending the training sessions discussed in the first attachment, and becoming familiar with the information provided in the second, should help in achieving this goal.
5. ACTION REQUIRED: The attached letter from Assistant Secretary Bramucci provides enclosures that transmit registration forms and information on the six training sessions to be conducted during the first three weeks of March. Please arrange to attend one of these sessions, and provide the information to subgrantees and local projects so that they may attend as well. Please also provide the attached booklet prepared by NASUA to subgrantees and appropriate staff. Additional copies of the booklet may be obtained by contacting your Federal representative.
6. INQUIRIES: Questions may be directed to your Federal representative at (202) 219-5904.
1.) February 1, 1999 letter from Assistant Secretary Bramucci with enclosures
2.) Workforce Investment Act of 1998: Opportunities for Workforce Development Professionals
ERICH W. ("RIC") LARISCH
ANNA W. GODDARD
Chief Director, Division of Older Worker Programs
Office of National Programs