Skip to content
Rapid Response Services - Getty Images©

Workers (FAQ)

How do I get another job?
Your local One-Stop Career Center can provide a range of information on issues such as putting together a resume, getting one-on-one career counseling, and gaining access to training services.

What is unemployment compensation?
The Federal-State unemployment insurance system pays benefits to eligible workers who are unemployed and looking for work. Unemployment payments (compensation) provide an unemployed worker time to find a new job equivalent to the one lost without major financial distress. Click here to find out more about your rights to collect unemployment insurance.

What should I do about pension and health benefits?
You may be entitled to certain pension protections and health benefits even if you lose your job. If your company provided a group health insurance plan, you may be able to continue health benefits for a period of time.

With a change in employment, you should understand how your pension benefits are affected. Knowing your rights can help you protect yourself and your family until you are working full time again. Click here for questions and answers regarding your health and pension benefits.

What if I was part of a large layoff or plant closure?
The Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Act is a Federal law that requires certain employers to give their workers 60 days notice before a plant closing or mass layoff. The purpose of the WARN Act is to provide workers with time to seek new employment or retraining opportunities and to plan for the transition phase after the layoff. Rapid Response services may be available to help you in your search for reemployment and/or training. If you would like state specific information about WARN or Rapid Response, contact your state Dislocated Worker Unit

What if I was laid off as a result of import competition? What if I was laid off because my job moved to another country?
Special assistance is available to help individuals who became unemployed as a result of international trade. Click here for more information.

What if I have been injured on the job?
If you have been injured at work, you may be able to file Worker Compensation for your injury. Click here for your state's Worker Compensation Website or call 1-877-US2-JOBS for more information.

What are my rights as an employee?
Federal standards establish wage and overtime pay requirements for a significant number of workers. Click here to gather information on whether you are being paid fairly. The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission provides you with information on federal laws prohibiting job discrimination. Get answers to frequently asked questions and advice to help in filing claims.