March 7, 2005
ETA REGIONAL INFORMATION ALERT 043-05
ORIGINATING OFFICE: Region 5
SUBJECT: Notice - Announcement of the Mailing Addresses for Applications Not Filed Electronically Under the New Permanent Foreign Labor Certification (PERM) Program
1. Purpose. To provide State Workforce Agencies with transition guidance for the labor certification process, including notice of the mailing addresses to be used for labor certification applications not filed electronically under the new Permanent Foreign Labor Certification (PERM) Program.
2. References. Federal Register, Vol. 70, No. 25, February 8, 2005, pp. 6734-6735; Federal Register, Vol. 69, No. 247, December 27, 2004, pp. 77326-77421 (.pdf); Information Alert 030-05, January 18, 2005; H-1B Visa Reform Act (2>005 Consolidated Appropriations Act, Section 421-430, Pub.L. 108-447).
3. Links. This Letter is in the Regional website archive at: https://www.doleta.gov/regions/regionalresources/
Link to the Federal Register attachment (.pdf)
4. Background. The Employment and Training Administration (ETA) is proceeding with a reorganization of its offices, divisions and units to better serve its customers.
Part of this reoganization is a redeployment of Federal staff involved with foreign labor certification. This function has been transferred from the Regional Offices to the Office of National Programs, Division of Foreign Labor Certification (DFLC). The Division has reorganized its foreign labor certification activities in a new structure intended to eliminate the current Permanent Program backlog and implement the new Program Electronic Review Management system.
The newly created structure is Center-based and includes all program functions and Federal staff that had been residing in ETA Regional Offices. Federal foreign labor certification staff nationwide have been relocated to two Perm Processing Centers located in Atlanta and Chicago.
5. Substance. The Federal Register attachment to this Letter contains transition guidance for the labor certification process. State Workforce Agencies (SWAs) will continue to accept permanent applications filed (postmarked) through March 27, 2005. Effective March 28, 2005 and thereafter, employers may choose an e-filing option at:
Alternatively, employers may choose to mail applications to the Atlanta or Chicago Perm Processing Centers.
Atlanta Perm Processing Center
233 Peachtree St., NE
Chicago Perm Processing Center
Employment and Training Administration
844 N. Rush St.
Chicago, Illinois 60611
State Workforce Agencies are advised to return to the sender all applications postmarked on or after March 28, 2005.
SWA responsibilities under the temporary non-immigrant H-2A and H-2B programs are unchanged.
6. Action Required. State Administrators are requested to share this Alert with appropriate staff and other agencies.
7. Inquiries. Questions or comments concerning the PERM labor certification process may be directed to PERM.DFLC@dol.gov. Questions or comments about the format of this Alert may be directed to Tom Coyne on 312.596.5435.
8. Attachment. Federal Register, Vol. 70, No. 25, February 8, 2005, pp. 6734-6735
9. Effective Date. March 28, 2005
10. Expiration Date. Continuing