June 21, 2005
REGION 5 ETA WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT LETTER 013-05
TO: State Workforce System Administrators
SUBJECT: Quad-Annual Federal/State Tax Performance System (TPS) Review
1. Purpose. To advise States of the Iowa 2005 TPS Federal/State Team review.
2. References. None.
3. Links. This Letter is in the Region 5 website archive at: https://www.doleta.gov/regions/reg05/pages/LibraryIssuances.cfm.
4. Background. TPS Coordinators/Reviewers conduct reviews of their States' tax functions annually. Additionally, each
year, State TPS reviewers are required to participate with Federal and TPS staff from other States as a team, to review a sample of TPS Acceptance Sample cases in two Region 5 States. The objective of the Federal/State Team Review is to validate the original findings of the TPS reviewer. Funds have been designated for travel for TPS reviewers, which will enable all State TPS staff to participate in the team reviews. TPS staff should obtain out-of-State travel authorization from their State Agency in order to participate on the team. All State reviewers’ travel expenses will be reimbursed by the
5. Substance. The Iowa Team review of CY 2004 Acceptance Samples will be conducted in Des Moines, IA, during the week of September 19, 2005. A schedule that will apply during the review is contained in the Attachment to this Letter.
The Iowa TPS Reviewer will be responsible for coordinating the availability of the appropriate State Tax staff responsible for the functions being reviewed. The Federal/State Team will review seven Acceptance Samples for each Tax function to determine the adequacy of the required documentation. The Team members will present their findings to the State Agency Tax Chief and interested State staff at the end of the visit.
A block of rooms has been secured for team members at:
Renaissance Savery Hotel
401 Locust St.
Des Moines, IA 50309
The rate is $70.00 per night, plus 12% tax. Each team member should call to reserve his/her room no later than Monday, August 29, 2005. Call for reservations at: 1-800-514-4706. When calling for reservations, ask for the TPS Review Team - USDOL.
6. Action. State Workforce System Administrators are requested to share this Letter with UI Directors, Tax (Revenue) Managers & Tax Performance System (TPS) Coordinators/Reviewers. Participating TPS Reviewers should make reservations as indicated.
7. Contact. Comments or questions concerning the Iowa TPS Review may be directed to Linda Mulcahey on 312.596.5434. Comments or questions about the format of this Letter may be directed to Tom Coyne on 312.596.5435.
8. Expiration Date. September 19, 2005.
9. Attachment. 2005 Iowa TPS Review Schedule.
2005 Iowa Tps Review Schedule
September 19 through September 23, 2005
|Monday||1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.||Entrance Conference|
|2:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.||Begin Case Reviews|
|Tuesday-Thursday||8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.||Case Reviews|
|4:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.||Case Findings Summaries|
|Friday||8:00 a.m. - 12:00 a.m.||Prepare Findings & Recommendations|
|1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.||Presentation to State Executive & Tax Staff|