December 9, 2011
REGION 5 ETA WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT LETTER 001-12
TO: Region 5 Unemployment Insurance State Administrators
FROM: Byron Zuidema
SUBJECT: Quad-Annual Federal/State Tax Performance System (TPS) Review
1. Purpose. To advise States of the schedule for the 2012 TPS Federal/State Team Reviews.
2. References. None.
3. Links. This Letter is in the Region 5 website archive at: http://www.doleta.gov/regions/reg05/pages/LibraryIssuances.cfm.
4. Background. TPS Coordinators/Reviewers conduct reviews of their States' tax functions annually. Additionally, each year, State TPS reviewers are required to participate with Federal and TPS staff from other States as a team, to review the TPS Acceptance Sample cases in two of Region 5’s States. The objective of the Federal/State Team Review is to validate the original findings of the TPS reviewer.
5. Substance. Funds have been designated for travel for TPS reviewers, which will enable all State TPS staff to participate in the Team Reviews. All State reviewers’ travel expenses will be reimbursed by the
The first 2012 Team Review will be conducted in Lincoln, NE during the week of June 18, 2012. The second Team Review will be conducted in Chicago, IL during the week of September 17, 2012. The Attachment to this Letter is the review schedule that applies to the FY 2012 Federal/State TPS reviews. The Team members should arrive in the city where the review will take place on the Monday of the week of the review.
6. Team Review. The TPS Coordinator/Reviewer of the host State will be responsible for coordinating the availability of the appropriate State Tax staff responsible for the functions being reviewed. The Federal/State Team will review seven passing cases from the Acceptance Samples for each Tax function as well as all failing cases to determine the adequacy of the required documentation. The Team members will present their findings to the State Agency Tax Chief and interested State staff at the end of the visit.
7. Hotel Accommodations. A block of rooms have been secured for team members at the hotels listed below. The block is listed under the Department of Labor. Each team member should call to reserve his/her room:
Holiday Inn Downtown - Lincoln
141 N. 9th Street
Lincoln, NE 68508
For the nights of June 18-22, 2012 the rate is $77.00 per night, plus 16% tax. The current rate for parking is $7.00 per day. There is a free hotel shuttle that can provide transportation between the airport and the hotel. A taxi will cost approximately $30 one way. The cut-off date for this room block is June 1, 2012. Please visit the www.holidayinn.com/hotels/us/en/lincoln/lnkdt/hoteldetail for information on hotel amenities.
Homewood Suites By Hilton Chicago Downtown
40 East Grand Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611
For the nights of September 17-21, 2012 the rate is $190.00 per night, plus 15.4% tax. Valet parking is available at a cost of $42 per day. There are several transportation services available between the airport and the hotel. The average cost for a taxi or shuttle service is $35 one way. The cut-off date for this room block is August 20, 2012. The hotel has extended the reservation dates to accommodate those individuals that may arrival early or leave late. The reserved room dates are September 14-24, 2012. To avoid any additional expenses, ensure that your reservation dates are changed to September 17-21, 2012. The U.S. Department of Labor will reimburse your state for the allowable expense occurring during September 17-21, 2012. Please visit the www.homewoodsuiteschicago.com for information on hotel amenities.
8. Action. Unemployment Insurance State Administrators are requested to share this Letter with UI Directors, Tax (Revenue) Managers & Tax Performance System (TPS) Coordinators/Reviewers. TPS staff should obtain out-of-State travel authorization from their State Agency in order to participate in the review.
9. Contact. Comments or questions concerning the TPS Review may be directed to Steven Scott at (312) 596-5443. Comments or questions about the format of this Letter may be directed to Beverly Akogu at (312) 596-5458.
10. Expiration Date. September 30, 2012
11. Attachment. 2012 TPS Review Schedule
2012 TPS Review Schedule
8:30 am – 9:30 am
9:30 am - 5:00 pm
Wednesday – Thursday
8:00 am - 4:00 pm
8:00 am -11:00 am
11:00 am - Noon
Prepare Findings & Recommendations
Presentation to State Executive