February 8, 2006
REGION 5 ETA WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT LETTER 003-06
TO: State Workforce System Administrators
FROM: Byron Zuidema
SUBJECT: Quad-Annual Federal/State UI Tax Performance System (TPS) Review
1. Purpose. To advise States of the schedule for the 2006 UI TPS Federal/State Team Reviews.
2. References. None.
3. Links. This Letter is in the Region 5 website archive at: https://www.doleta.gov/regions/reg05/pages/LibraryIssuances.cfm.
4. Background. TPS Coordinators/Reviewers conduct reviews of their States' tax functions annually. Additionally, each year, State TPS reviewers are required to participate with Federal and TPS staff from other States as a team, to review a sample of TPS Acceptance Sample cases in two Region 5 States. The objective of the Federal/State Team Review is to validate the original findings of the TPS reviewer.
5. Substance. Funds have been designated for travel for TPS reviewers, which will enable all State TPS staff to participate in the Team Reviews. All State reviewers’ travel expenses will be reimbursed by the
Team Reviews will be conducted during one week in each State under review. The 2006 Team Reviews will be conducted in Madison, WI during the week of April 17, 2006; and in Columbus, OH at a time to be determined later, pending that State agency’s move to a new location. The Attachment to this Letter is the review schedule that will apply in Wisconsin during the 2006 Federal/State TPS review.
6. Team Review. The TPS Coordinator/Reviewer of the host State will be responsible for coordinating the availability of the appropriate State Tax staff responsible for the functions being reviewed. The Federal/State Team will review seven Acceptance Samples for each Tax function to determine the adequacy of the required documentation. The Team members will present their findings to the State Agency Tax Chief and interested State staff at the end of the visit.
7. Hotel Accommodations. A block of rooms has been secured for team members at the hotel listed below. Each team member should call to reserve his/her room:
Madison Concourse Hotel
One West Dayton St.
Madison, Wisconsin 53703
For the nights of April 17-20, 2006 the rate is $80.00 per night, plus 13.5 percent tax. When calling for reservations, ask for the TPS Review Team block. The cut-off date for this room block is March 20, 2006. Please visit the hotel website for information on hotel amenities.
8. Action. State Workforce System Administrators are requested to share this Letter with UI Directors, Tax (Revenue) Managers & Tax Performance System (TPS) Coordinators/Reviewers. TPS staff should obtain out-of-State travel authorization from their State Agency in order to participate on the team.
9. Contact. Comments or questions concerning the 2006 Wisconsin TPS Review may be directed to Linda Mulcahey on 312.596.5434. Comments or questions about the format of this Letter may be directed to Tom Coyne on 312.596.5435.
10. Expiration Date. April 17, 2006.
11. Attachment. Wisconsin 2006 TPS Review Schedule.
Wisconsin - 2006 TPS Review Schedule
April 17 through April 21, 2006
1:00 – 2:00 pm
2:00 - 5:00 pm
Tuesday – Thursday
8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Case Findings Summary
8:00 -11:00 am
11:00 am - Noon
Prepare Findings & Recommendations
Presentation to State Executive