August 3, 2004
ETA REGIONAL INFORMATION ALERT 003-04
ORIGINATING OFFICE: Region 5
SUBJECT: Request for Comments - Labor Certification for the Permanent Employment of Aliens in the United States, Backlog Reduction; Interim Final Rule
PROGRAM(S): Labor Certification
1. Purpose. To transmit a request for comment on backlog reduction of labor certification applications for the permanent employment of aliens in the United States.
2. References. Federal Register, Vol. 69, No. 139, July 21, 2004, pp. 43716-43719; Immigration and Nationality Act [8 U.S.C. 1182(a)(5)(A)]; 20 CFR 656; Executive Orders 12866 and 13132; Regulatory Flexibility Act [5 U.S.C.605(b)]; Unfunded Mandates Reform Act of 1995; Small Business Regulatory Enforcement Fairness Act of 1996; Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance 17.203
3. Links. This Bulletin is in the Regional Resources website archive at: https://www.doleta.gov/regions/regionalresources/
Link to the Federal Register attachment (.pdf)
4. Substance. The Department is issuing an interim final rule to address an existing backlog in pending labor certification applications. The amendment to regulations allows the National Certifying Officer to transfer to a centralized ETA processing center(s) applications now awaiting processing by State Workforce Agencies or Regional Offices.
5. Action. Program administrators are requested to share this Information Alert with appropriate staff and other agencies, and are invited to comment, on or before August 20, 2004 to the offices named in the Addresses section of the Federal Register attachment.
6. Contact. Comments or questions about labor certification may be directed to the Division of Foreign Labor Certification in your Regional Office:
Region 1 Boston - 617.565.3630
Region 2 Philadelphia - 215.861.5200
Region 3 Atlanta - 404.562.2092
Region 4 Dallas - 214.767.8263
Region 5 Chicago - 312.596.5400
Region 6 San Francisco - 415.975.4610
Comments or questions about the format of this Bulletin may be directed to Tom Coyne on 312.596.5435.
7. Expiration Date. August 20, 2004
8. Attachment. Federal Register, Vol. 69, No. 139, July 21, 2004, pp. 43716-3719