September 3, 2004
ETA REGIONAL INFORMATION ALERT 028-04
ORIGINATING OFFICE: Region 5
SUBJECT: Notice - Hire Vets First Initiative
1. Purpose. To transmit a notice about the Hire Vets First Initiative beginning September 9, 2004, under programs of the Employment and Training Administration (ETA) and Veterans Employment and Training (VETS).
2. References. Jobs for Veterans Act [Pub.L. 107-288].
3. Links. This Bulletin is in the Regional Resources website archive at: https://www.doleta.gov/regions/regionalresources/
Link to the Hire Veterans First website (beginning 9/9/2004)
4. Background. On November 7, 2002, the President signed Public Law 107-288, the Jobs for Veterans Act, to revise and improve employment, training and placement services to veterans. The Act established the President's National Hire Veterans Committee. The Committee is launching a national campaign on September 9, 2004, highlighting the skills and competencies veterans bring to the workforce and encouraging employers to hire veterans. The Hire Vets First campaign will direct interested parties to the Hire Vets First website and to the Department's Toll Free Help Line 1-877-US2-JOBS (1-877-872-5627). The website and the Help Line both direct users to local One-Stop Career Centers. The attachment to this Alert describes the Hire Vets First initiative.
5. Action. Program administrators are requested to share this Information Alert with appropriate staff and other agencies, including Local Veterans Employment Representatives and Disabled Veterans Outreach Program Specialists.
6. Contact. Comments or questions about Hire Vets First activities may be directed to the Office of System Performance in your Regional Office:
Comments or questions about the format of this Alert may be directed to Tom Coyne on 312.596.5435.
7. Expiration Date. November 11, 2004
Attachment - Fact Sheets on Hire Vet First Campaign for One-Stop Career Center Staff (.pdf)