December 21, 2004
ETA REGIONAL INFORMATION ALERT 029-05
ORIGINATING OFFICE: Region 5
SUBJECT: FYI - A Data Validation Compendium
PROGRAM(S): WIA, Wagner-Peyser, Trade
1. Purpose. To transmit a reminder that the results of data element validation and report validation for WIA, Wagner-Peyser (Labor Exchange) and Trade Act programs must be submitted on or before February 1, 2005.
2. References. Workforce Investment Act (Pub.L. 105-220), section 185, 20 CFR 667.300(e)(2); Wagner-Peyser Act, section 10; Older Americans Act, section 503(f)(3) and (4); Trade Adjustment Act regulations at 20 CFR 617.57(a).
3. Links. This Alert is in the Regional Resources website archive at: http://www.doleta.gov/regions/regionalresources
4. Substance. Data element validation is now due 120 days after the submission of the WIA annual report (not after the submission of the WIASRD as in prior years). Thus, for PY 2003, each State is required to complete report validation prior to submitting the annual report (ETA9091), and data element validation using a file of exiters and participants reported on the ETA 9091, by February 1, 2005.
5. Resources. The Employment and Training Administration's Performance Results Office makes available a variety of resources for State and local staff with the responsibility for validating WIA, Labor Exchange and Trade Act program records:
A. Data Validation Issues and Policy
- Training and Employment Guidance Letter 3-03, Change 2, Data Validation Submission Instructions, October 20, 2004
- Training and Employment Guidance Letter 3-03, Change 1, Data Validation Policy for Employment and Training Programs, August 20, 2004
- Government Accountability Office, Workforce Investment Act: Labor Actions Can Help States Improve Quality of Performance Outcome Data and Delivery of Youth Services, GAO-04-308, February 23, 2004
- Government Accountability Office, Information Technology Management: Governmentwide Strategic Planning, Performance Measurement, and Investment Management Can Be Further Improved, GAO-04-49, January 12, 2004
- Training and Employment Guidance Letter 3-03, Data Validation Policy for Employment and Training Programs, August 6, 2003
- Training and Employment Notice 14-02, Data Validation Initiative, May 28, 2003
- Government Accountability Office, Multiple Employment and Training Programs: Funding and Performance Measures for Major Programs, GAO-03-589, April 18, 2003
- Training and Employment Notice 8-02, Implementation of Common Performance Measures for Job Training and Employment Programs, March 27, 2003
- Government Accountability Office, Workforce Training: Employed Workers Programs Focus on Business Needs, But Revised Performance Measures Could Improve Access for Some Workers, GAO-03-353, February 14,2003
- Government Accountability Office, Workforce Investment Act: Improvements Needed In Performance Measures to Provide More Accurate Picture of WIA's Effectiveness, GAO-02-275, February 1, 2002.
- President's Management Agenda for FY 2002
B. Data Validation Software and User Guides Online
- ETA's Data Validation page contains links to the validation software and user guides.
- Data Validation Methodology presentation (.ppt)
C. On-Line Tutorials
- Enhancing WIA Performance Outcomes is a free online staff-training program targeted for front line One-Stop Career Center staff, WIA youth provider staff, program supervisors and administrators, Workforce Investment Board members and staff, and is designed to help States and local areas understand Federal performance standards for WIA programs and participants.
- Data Validation training in several topics is available from the NASWA/CSER website.
D. E-Mail Help
- WIA validation questions, e-mail: email@example.com
- Labor Exchange validation questions, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Trade validation questions, e-mail: email@example.com
E. Telephone Help
- WIA and Trade assistance call Jonathan Ladinsky on 609.275.2250.
- Labor Exchange assistance call Grace Roemer on 609.936.2782 or Brandon Kyler on 609.716.4381.
6. Quick Picks
|If You Want to Find Out About:||Go to:|
|-Common Measures implementation||TEN 8-02|
|-Data validation policy||TEGL 3-03|
|-Data instructions: Trade||Data Validation Instructions for Trade|
|-Data instructions: WIA||WIA Validation Handbook|
|-Download software: Labor Exchange||Version 1.9 on the Data Validation page|
|-Download software: Trade||Version 1.3 on the Data Validation page|
|-Download software: WIA||Version 3.0MR on the Data Validation page|
|-Online training/tutorials||NASWA/CESER or SPRA websites|
|-PowerPoint on Data Validation||LEX and VETS Measures and Validation|
|-PowerPoint on Methodology||Data Validation Methodology|
|-Reporting Timetables||TEGL 14-03|
|-Self-attestation||TEGL 3-03, Change 1, Attachment A|
|-Software User Guide: Trade||TAA Data Validation Software|
|-Software User Guide: WIA||WIA Data Validation Application|
|-Source documentation||TEGL 3-03, Change 1, Attachment A|
|-Validation questions: Labor Exchangefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|-Validation questions: Tradeemail@example.com|
|-Validation questions: WIAfirstname.lastname@example.org|
7. Action. Program administrators are requested to share this Information Alert with appropriate staff and other agencies. In particular, State and local WIBs are encouraged to forward this notice to pertinent staff.
8. Contact. Questions about data validation may be directed to the Office of System Support in your Regional Office:
Region 1 Boston - 617.565.3630
Region 2 Philadelphia - 215.861.5200
Region 3 Atlanta - 404.562.2092
Region 4 Dallas - 214.767.8263
Region 5 Chicago - 312.596.5400
Region 6 San Francisco - 415.975.4610
Comments or questions about the format of this Bulletin may be directed to Tom Coyne on 312.596.5435.
9. Expiration Date. February 1, 2005
10. Attachments. None.