September 17, 2004
ETA REGIONAL INFORMATION ALERT 033-04
ORIGINATING OFFICE: Region 5
SUBJECT: Notice - Skills to Build America's Future Initiative
PROGRAM(S): All Programs
1. Purpose. To transmit notice of the Skills to Build America's Future Initiative to establish new partnerships with industry, labor and educators to help connect job seekers to employment and training opportunities available in the construction trades.
2. References. None.
3. Links. This Alert is in the Regional Resources website archive at: https://www.doleta.gov/regions/regionalresources/
Link to www.careervoyages.gov for information about the Skills to Build America's Future Initiative.
4. Background. The Skills to Build America's Future Initiative is a joint venture including the Department of Labor's Employment and Training Administration and the Department of Education's Office of Vocational and Adult Education; Industry is represented by the Construction Industry Roundtable and the National Association of Home Builders; Labor is represented by affiliated international unions of the National Heavy and Highway Alliance.
5. Substance. The Skills to Build America's Future Initiative seeks to:
- coordinate outreach efforts to educators in the skilled trades;
- promote the skilled trades at the State and local level;
- engage One-Stop Career Centers, the Federal Apprenticeship program and national programs such as Job Corps and the Indian and Native American programs in efforts to partner with local construction training programs.
6. Action. Program administrators are requested to share this Alert with appropriate staff and other agencies.
7. Contact. Comments or questions about the Skills to Build America's Future Initiative may be directed to the Office of System Performance in your Regional Office:
Region 1 Boston - 617.565.3630
Region 2 Philadelphia - 215.861.5200
Region 3 Atlanta - 404.562.2092
Region 4 Dallas - 214.767.8263
Region 5 Chicago - 312.596.5400
Region 6 San Francisco - 415.975.4610
Comments or questions about the format of this Alert may be directed to Tom Coyne on 312.596.5435.
8. Expiration Date. Continuing
Attachment 1 - Skilled Trades Initiative Memo
Attachment 2 - Skills to Build America's Future Initiative