January 24, 2005
REGION 5 ETA WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT LETTER 004-05
TO: State Workforce System Administrators
FROM: Byron Zuidema
SUBJECT: Quad-Annual Federal/State Tax Performance System (TPS) Reviews
1. Purpose: To advise States of the schedule for the 2005 TPS Federal/State Team reviews.
2. References: None.
3. Links: This Letter is in the region 5 website archive at: https://www.doleta.gov/regions/reg05/pages/LibraryIssuances.cfm
4. Background: TPS Coordinators/Reviewers conduct reviews of their States' tax functions annually. Additionally, each year State TPS reviewers are required to participate with Federal and TPS staff from other States as a team, to review a sample of TPS Acceptance Sample cases in two Region 5 States. The objective of the Federal/State Team Review is to validate the original findings of the TPS reviewer.
5. Substance: Funds have been designated for travel for TPS reviewers, which will enable all State TPS staff to participate in the team reviews. All State reviewers’ travel expenses will be reimbursed by the
Team reviews, formerly conducted in two phases during two separate weeks, will, commencing with this review, and in future, be conducted during one week in the Spring of the year, at which time samples for all functions will be reviewed. Thus, Team members should, if possible, plan to arrive in the city where the review will take place on Sunday afternoon.
The 2005 Team reviews will be conducted in Jefferson City, MO during the week of April 17, 2005, and in Topeka, KS during the week of May 15, 2005. The Attachment to this Letter is a review schedule that will apply in both Missouri and Kansas during the 2005 Federal/State TPS reviews.
6. Team Review: The TPS Coordinator/Reviewer of the host State will be responsible for coordinating the availability of the appropriate State Tax staff responsible for the functions being reviewed. The Federal/State Team will review seven Acceptance Samples for each Tax function to determine the adequacy of the required documentation. The Team will present their findings to the State Agency Tax Chief and interested State staff at the end of each visit.
7. Hotel Accommodations: A block of rooms has been secured for team members at the hotels listed below. Each team member should call to reserve his/her room.
Capitol Plaza Hotel
415 W. McCarty Street
Jefferson City, MO
tel. 1.800.338.8088 or 573.635.1234
The rate is $61.00 per night, plus 9.3% tax. When calling for reservations, ask for the TPS Review Team - USDOL. While the cut off date for this block is March 28th, in order to be assured a room, team members should call to reserve by January 31, 2005. If cancellation later becomes necessary, room reservations can be cancelled up to 4 p.m., Saturday, April 16th.
924 SW Henderson Rd.
The rate is $60.00 per night, plus 13.2% tax. When calling for reservations, ask for the TPS Review Team - USDOL.
8. Action: This Letter should be shared with UI Directors, Tax (Revenue) Managers & Tax Performance System (TPS) Coordinators/Reviewers. TPS staff should obtain out-of-State travel authorization from their State Agency in order to participate on the team.
9. Contact: Questions or comments concerning this Letter may be directed to Linda Mulcahey on 312.596.5434. Questions or comments about the format of this Letter may be directed to Tom Coyne on 312.596.5435.
10. Expiration Date: September 30, 2005.
11. Attachment: Missouri and Kansas – 2005 TPS Review Schedule
Missouri and Kansas- 2005 TPS Review Schedule
Missouri - April 17 through April 22, 2005
Kansas – May 15 through May 20, 2005
|Monday||9:00 - 10:00 a.m10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.||Entrance Conference
Begin Case Reviews
|Tuesday – Thursday||8:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m.
4:00 - 5:00 p.m.
Case Findings Summary
|Friday||8:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
11:00 a.m. - 12 Noon
|Prepare Findings & Recommendations
Presentation to State Executive
& Tax Staff