April 28, 2010
REGION 5 ETA WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT LETTER 005-10
TO: State Workforce System Administrators
FROM: Byron Zuidema
SUBJECT: Quad-Annual Federal/State Tax Performance System (TPS) Review
1. Purpose. To advise States of the schedule for the 2010 TPS Federal/State Team Reviews.
2. References. None.
3. Links. This Letter is in the Region 5 website archive at: https://www.doleta.gov/regions/reg05/pages/LibraryIssuances.cfm.
4. Background. TPS Coordinators/Reviewers conduct reviews of their States' tax functions annually. Additionally, each year, State TPS reviewers are required to participate with Federal and TPS staff from other States as a team, to review a sample of TPS Acceptance Sample cases in three Region 5 States. The objective of the Federal/State Team Review is to validate the original findings of the TPS reviewer.
5. Substance. Funds have been designated for travel for TPS reviewers, which will enable all State TPS staff to participate in the Team Reviews. All State reviewers’ travel expenses will be reimbursed by the
Team Reviews will be conducted during one week in each State under review. The first 2010 Team Review will be conducted in Madison, WI during the week of May 17, 2010. The second 2010 Team Review will be conducted in Columbus, OH during the week of June 21, 2010. The final 2010 Team Review will be conducted in Detroit, MI during the week of September 13, 2010. The Attachment to this Letter is the review schedule that will apply in all States during the 2010 Federal/State TPS review. Team members should arrive in the city where the review will take place on the Monday of the week for the review.
6. Team Review. The TPS Coordinator/Reviewer of the host State will be responsible for coordinating the availability of the appropriate State Tax staff responsible for the functions being reviewed. The Federal/State Team will review seven passing cases from the Acceptance Samples for each Tax function as well as all failing cases to determine the adequacy of the required documentation. The Team members will present their findings to the State Agency Tax Chief and interested State staff at the end of the visit.
7. Hotel Accommodations. A block of rooms has been secured for team members at the hotels listed below. The block is listed under the US Department of Labor. Each team member should call to reserve his/her room:
The Madison Concourse Hotel
For the nights of May 17-20, 2010 the rate is $93.00 per night, plus 14.5 percent tax. The current rate for parking is $7.00. There is a hotel shuttle from the airport. The cut-off date for this room block is April19, 2010. Please visit the hotel website for information on hotel amenities.
Residence Inn by Marriott at Easton
For the nights of June 21-24, 2010 the rate is $101.00 per night, plus 16.75 percent tax. There is no charge for parking. The cut-off date for this room block is May 31, 2010. Please visit the hotel website for information on hotel amenities.
Omni Detroit Hotel River Place
For the nights of September 13-16, 2010 the rate is $104.00 per night, plus 12.0 percent tax. The charge for parking is $18.00 per day. The cut-off date for this room block is August 23, 2010. Please visit the hotel website for information on hotel amenities.
8. Action. State Workforce System Administrators are requested to share this Letter with UI Directors, Tax (Revenue) Managers & Tax Performance System (TPS) Coordinators/Reviewers. TPS staff should obtain out-of-State travel authorization from their State Agency in order to participate on the team.
9. Contact. Comments or questions concerning the 2010 TPS Review may be directed to Sandy Diaz on 312.596.5443. Comments or questions about the format of this Letter may be directed to Tom Coyne on 312.596.5435.
10. Expiration Date. May 17, 2010.
11. Attachment. 2010 TPS Review Schedule.
2010 TPS Review Schedule
8:30 am – 9:30 am
9:30 am - 5:00 pm
Wednesday – Thursday
8:00 am - 4:00 pm
8:00 am -11:00 am
11:00 am - Noon
Prepare Findings & Recommendations
Presentation to State Executive