October 31, 2012
REGION 5 ETA WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT LETTER 001-13
TO: Region 5 Unemployment Insurance State Administrators
FROM: Byron Zuidema
SUBJECT: Quad-Annual Federal/State Tax Performance System (TPS) Review
1. Purpose. To advise States of the schedule for the 2013 TPS Federal/State Team Reviews.
2. References. None.
3. Links. This Letter is in the Region 5 website archive at: https://www.doleta.gov/regions/reg05/pages/LibraryIssuances.cfm.
4. Background. TPS Coordinators/Reviewers conduct reviews of their States' tax functions annually. Additionally, each year, State TPS reviewers are required to participate with Federal and TPS staff from other States as a team, to review the TPS Acceptance Sample cases in two of Region 5’s States. The objective of the Federal/State Team Review is to validate the original findings of the TPS reviewer.
5. Substance. Funds have been designated for travel for TPS reviewers, which will enable all State TPS staff to participate in the Team Reviews. All State reviewers’ travel expenses will be reimbursed by the U.S. Department of Labor.
There will be three (3) reviews during the calendar year 2013. The first 2013 Team Review will be conducted in Jefferson City, MO during the week of April 8, 2013. The second Team Review will be conducted in Topeka, KS during the week of May 13, 2013. The third Team Review will be conducted in Des Moines, IA during the week of September 16, 2013. The Attachment to this Letter is the review schedule that applies to the FY 2013 Federal/State TPS reviews. The Team members should arrive in the city where the review will take place on the Monday of the week of the review.
6. Team Review. The TPS Coordinator/Reviewer of the host State will be responsible for coordinating the availability of the appropriate State Tax staff responsible for the functions being reviewed. The Federal/State Team will review seven passing cases from the Acceptance Samples for each Tax function as well as all failing cases to determine the adequacy of the required documentation. The Team members will present their findings to the State Agency Tax Chief and interested State staff at the end of the visit.
7. Hotel Accommodations. To ensure room availability, team members are encouraged to promptly make reservations at the following hotels. Make sure to ask for the government rate.
Best Western Plus Capital Inn
1937 Christy Drive
Jefferson City, MO 65101-2202
For the nights of April 8-12, 2013 the government rate is $79.00 per night, plus 7% tax. A block of rooms have been reserved for this review. When you call to reserve a room, reference the U.S. DOL-TPS group. There is no cost for parking. There are several transportation services available between the airport and the hotel. The average cost for a taxi or shuttle service is $35 one way. Please visit the www.bestwestern.com/capitalinn for information on hotel amenities.
Capital Plaza Hotel
1717 SW Topeka Blvd
Topeka, KS 66612
For the nights of May 13-17, 2013 the government rate is $77.00 per night, plus 14.95% tax. There is no cost for parking. A block of rooms have not been reserved for this review so you are encouraged to promptly reserve a room. There are several transportation services available between the airport and the hotel. The average cost for a taxi or shuttle service is $40 one way. Please visit the www.capitolplazahoteltopeka.com for information on hotel amenities.
Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel
401 Locust Street
Des Moines, IA 50309
For the nights of September 16-20, 2013 the government rate is $84.00 per night, plus 12% tax. A block of rooms have not been reserved for this review so you are encouraged to promptly reserve a room. The hotel offers free shutter services to and from the airport. Valet parking is $16 per night. Please visit the www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/dsmbr-renaissance-des-moines-savery-hotel for information on hotel amenities.
8. Action. Unemployment Insurance State Administrators are requested to share this Letter with UI Directors, Tax (Revenue) Managers & Tax Performance System (TPS) Coordinators/Reviewers. TPS staff should obtain out-of-State travel authorization from their State Agency in order to participate in the review.
9. Contact. Comments or questions concerning the TPS Review may be directed to Steven Scott at (312) 596-5439. Comments or questions about the format of this Letter may be directed to Beverly Akogu at (312) 596-5458.
10. Expiration Date. September 30, 2013
11. Attachment. 2013 TPS Review Schedule
2013 TPS Review Schedule
|Tuesday||8:30 am – 9:30 am
9:30 am - 5:00 pm
Begin Case Reviews
|Wednesday – Thursday||8:00 am - 4:00 pm
4:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Case Findings Summary
|Friday||8:00 am -11:00 am
11:00 am - Noon
|Prepare Findings & Recommendations
Presentation to State Executive & Tax Staff