February 9, 2007
REGION 5 ETA WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT LETTER 003-07
TO: State Workforce System Administrators
FROM: Byron Zuidema
SUBJECT: Quad-Annual Federal/State Tax Performance System (TPS) Review
1. Purpose. To advise States of the schedule for the 2007 TPS Federal/State Team Reviews.
2. References. None.
3. Links. This Letter is in the Region 5 website archive at: https://www.doleta.gov/regions/reg05/pages/LibraryIssuances.cfm.
4.Background. TPS Coordinators/Reviewers conduct reviews of their States' tax functions annually. Additionally, each year, State TPS reviewers are required to participate with Federal and TPS staff from other States as a team, to review a sample of TPS Acceptance Sample cases in two Region 5 States. The objective of the Federal/State Team Review is to validate the original findings of the TPS reviewer.
5. Substance. Funds have been designated for travel for TPS reviewers, which will enable all State TPS staff to participate in the Team Reviews. All State reviewers’ travel expenses will be reimbursed by the U.S. Department of Labor.
Team Reviews will be conducted during one week in each State under review. The first 2007 Team Review will be conducted in Indianapolis, IN during the week of April 23, 2007. The second 2007 Team Review will be conducted in Saint Paul, MN during the week of May 21, 2007. The Attachment to this Letter is the review schedule that will apply in both states during the 2007 Federal/State TPS review. The Team members should arrive in the city where the review will take place on Monday.
6. Team Review. The TPS Coordinator/Reviewer of the host State will be responsible for coordinating the availability of the appropriate State Tax staff responsible for the functions being reviewed. The Federal/State Team will review seven Acceptance Samples for each Tax function to determine the adequacy of the required documentation. The Team members will present their findings to the State Agency Tax Chief and interested State staff at the end of the visit.
7. Hotel Accommodations. A block of rooms has been secured for team members at the hotels listed below. The block is listed under the US Department of Labor. Each team member should call to reserve his/her room:
Hyatt Regency Indianapolis
One South Capitol Avenue
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204
For the nights of April 23-26, 2006 the rate is $93.00 per night, plus 15.0 percent tax. Parking is $18.00 per day. Transportation from the airport may be obtained from Carey Transportation for $12.00. The cut-off date for this room block is March 26, 2007. Please visit the hotel website for information on hotel amenities.
Embassy Suites Hotel St. Paul-Downtown
175 East 10th Street
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55101
For the nights of May 21-25, 2006 the rate is $113.00 per night, plus 13.0 percent tax. Parking is $8.00 per day. There is a hotel shuttle from the airport for $20.00. Call the general number to arrange pick-up. The shuttle operates from 9:00 am to 10:00 pm. The cut-off date for this room block is April 30, 2007. Please visit the hotel website for information on hotel amenities.
8. Action. State Workforce System Administrators are requested to share this Letter with UI Directors, Tax (Revenue) Managers & Tax Performance System (TPS) Coordinators/Reviewers. TPS staff should obtain out-of-State travel authorization from their State Agency in order to participate on the team.
9. Contact. Comments or questions concerning the 2007 TPS Review may be directed to Sandy Diaz on 312.596.5443. Comments or questions about the format of this Letter may be directed to Tom Coyne on 312.596.5435.
10. Expiration Date. May 21, 2007.
11. Attachment. 2007 TPS Review Schedule.
|Tuesday||8:30 – 9:30 pm
9:30 - 5:00 pm
Begin Case Reviews
|Wednesday – Thursday||8:00 am - 4:00 pm
4:00 - 5:00 pm
Case Findings Summary
|Friday||8:00 -11:00 am
11:00 am - Noon
|Prepare Findings & Recommendations
Presentation to State Executive
& Tax Staff