March 1, 2011
REGION 5 ETA WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT LETTER 003-11
TO: State Workforce System Administrators
FROM: Byron Zuidema
SUBJECT: Quad-Annual Federal/State Tax Performance System (TPS) Review
1. Purpose. To advise States of the schedule for the 2011 TPS Federal/State Team Reviews.
2. References. None.
3. Links. This Letter is in the Region 5 website archive at: https://www.doleta.gov/regions/reg05/pages/LibraryIssuances.cfm.
4. Background. TPS Coordinators/Reviewers conduct reviews of their States' tax functions annually. Additionally, each year, State TPS reviewers are required to participate with Federal and TPS staff from other States as a team, to review a sample of TPS Acceptance Sample cases in three Region 5 States. The objective of the Federal/State Team Review is to validate the original findings of the TPS reviewer.
5. Substance. Funds have been designated for travel for TPS reviewers, which will enable all State TPS staff to participate in the Team Reviews. All State reviewers’ travel expenses will be reimbursed by the U.S. Department of Labor.
Team Reviews will be conducted during one week in each State under review. The first 2011 Team Review will be conducted in Saint Paul, MN during the week of May 16, 2011. The second 2011 Team Review will be conducted in Indianapolis, IN during the week of September 12, 2011. The Attachment to this Letter is the review schedule that will apply in all states during the 2011 Federal/State TPS review. The Team members should arrive in the city where the review will take place on the Monday of the week for the review.
6. Team Review. The TPS Coordinator/Reviewer of the host State will be responsible for coordinating the availability of the appropriate State Tax staff responsible for the functions being reviewed. The Federal/State Team will review seven passing cases from the Acceptance Samples for each Tax function as well as all failing cases to determine the adequacy of the required documentation. The Team members will present their findings to the State Agency Tax Chief and interested State staff at the end of the visit.
7. Hotel Accommodations. A block of rooms has been secured for team members at the hotels listed below. The block is listed under the Department of Labor. Each team member should call to reserve his/her room:
Embassy Suites Saint Paul - Downtown
175 E. 10th Street
St. Paul, MN 55101
For the nights of May 16-19, 2011 the rate is $120.00 per night, plus 13.625 percent tax. The current rate for parking is $10.00. There is a hotel shuttle from the airport which is $25.00 round trip and the charge is put on your hotel bill. There is a Super-shuttle from and to the airports which is $13.00 each way. A cab ride is estimated at $30.00. The cut-off date for this room block is April 25, 2011. Please visit the hotel website for information on hotel amenities.
Embassy Suites Hotel Indianapolis - Downtown
110 West Washington Street
Indianapolis, IN 46204
For the nights of September 12-15, 2011 the rate is $91.00 per night, plus 17.0 percent tax. There is a $20.00 per day charge for parking. There is a hotel shuttle for three or more at a time from the airport for a fee of $15.00 each way. Call 317.809.4000 for a reservation of the shuttle the day before arrival. The cut-off date for this room block is August 11, 2011. You may make reservations using the telephone number listed above or you may make them on-line at www.indianapolisdowntown.embassysuites.com and using group code MBW. Please visit the hotel website for information on hotel amenities.
8. Action. State Workforce System Administrators are requested to share this Letter with UI Directors, Tax (Revenue) Managers & Tax Performance System (TPS) Coordinators/Reviewers. TPS staff should obtain out-of-State travel authorization from their State Agency in order to participate on the team.
9. Contact. Comments or questions concerning the 2010 TPS Review may be directed to Sandy Diaz on 312.596.5443. Comments or questions about the format of this Letter may be directed to Beverly Akogu on 312.596.5458.
10. Expiration Date. May 16, 2011.
11. Attachment. 2011 TPS Review Schedule.
2010 TPS Review Schedule
8:30 am – 9:30 am
9:30 am - 5:00 pm
Wednesday – Thursday
8:00 am - 4:00 pm
8:00 am -11:00 am
11:00 am - Noon
Prepare Findings & Recommendations
Presentation to State Executive