What's New in Workforce Investment?
Workforce Investment News Archive
Air Traffic Control Specialist Recruitment: Alert on Upcoming Recruitment and Outreach Campaign by FAA
Jan 29, 2014
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has announced a nation-wide air traffic control specialist recruitment, outreach, and education program, extending the invitation for the workforce system to share this information with its program participants in advance of a public vacancy announcement expected on or about February 10, 2014. There are air traffic control positions available at FAA locations across the country, and the FAA encourages all interested individuals who are eligible to apply for these positions.
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has re-opened its Academy for training Air Traffic Controllers since it closed in the spring of 2013. The FAA intends to hire around 3,000 people over the next year for these positions across the country. The FAA anticipates that they will be hiring in significant numbers over the next several years, given the fact that that Air Traffic Controllers must retire by age 56.
Below are some key points of this new FAA hiring initiative:
- FAA will post these positions on the USA Jobs website during the February 10 - February 21 period.
- FAA will recruit nationwide.
- The pay scale for Air Traffic Controllers ranges from GS-9 to GS-15 (depending on the local area).
- Individuals must start the FAA Academy or be conditionally hired by their 31st birthday.
- Individuals must have 3 years of progressively responsible work experience, or a Bachelor's degree, or combination of education and work experience.
- Individuals must meet medical and security requirements of being a government employee.
- Veterans will receive Preference through the normal Federal Hiring process.
- FAA is hosting a Virtual Career Fair on February 12
Please visit www.FAA.gov/jobs jobs for Employment FAQs, Air Traffic Controller Fact Sheets, and promotional videos.
FAA has also created 'Digital Kits' created for outreach and promotion, addressing eligibility for the position, application instructions, and other FAA positions in addition to the air traffic control jobs. Please visit www.faa.gov/jobs/recruiting_kit/