DIRECTIVE: OLDER WORKER BULLETIN 98-35
TO: ALL SENIOR COMMUNITY SERVICE EMPLOYMENT PROGRAM (SCSEP) SPONSORS
SUBJECT: Workforce Investment Act
1. Purpose: To provide SCSEP grantees with additional information on the recently enacted workforce development legislation that will replace the Job Training Partnership Act (JTPA).
2. Reference: OLDER WORKER BULLETIN 98-32
3. Discussion: The Workforce Investment Act (WIA) replaces JTPA, and will be phased in during the next two program years, taking effect in all States on July 1, 2000. (Many States will implement the WIA a year earlier, however).
Copies of the legislation are available on the Internet at the Employment and Training Administration Homepage, www.us workforce.org. Hard copies of the attached materials may be requested by calling Ms. Cami Cooper or Mr. Jim Lott of the Workforce Investment Office, Employment and Training Administration, Washington D.C. (202-219-0316)
4. Action: Please provide the attached materials to appropriate staff, and become familiar with the key elements of the newly enacted legislation.
5. Inquiries: Questions should be directed to your Federal Representative at (202) 219-5904.